Saturday, March 12, 2011

Week 10 of 52: Preparation of alkoxide salts from alcohols

Last week, I showed the Williamson ether synthesis, a nucleophilic substitution reaction in which an alkoxide ion attacks an alkyl halide. I noted that the preparation of the alkoxide itself was another reaction and that I would save this reaction for later. Well, it's later now. I think. Anyway, if you actually bothered to read the title, which really isn't all that impressive of an accomplishment, you would knot that I am indeed using alkoxide preparation as this week's reaction.

This is an acid-base reaction. I hope you remember how those work, because I shan't be reviewing it. Go back and find those posts yourself. Or don't. Whichever. Even if you are a bit familiar with acid-base reactions, you might find this one slightly peculiar. You might notice that an alcohol is not normally a good acid. That's why this time, we're using a super-strong base. Sodium hydride is one of my favorite bases ever and it's a fairly standard one for this. Probably. I think. So we'll use that as our example. Behold, a reaction:

CH3CH2O—H + NaH → CH3CH2ONa + H2

See how awesome sodium hydride is?

No comments:

Post a Comment