Sunday, July 3, 2011

Week 16 of 52: Halogenation

It's getting to me that I'm obviously rusty on this stuff. I don't like it. I see the phrase, "forming a vicinal dihalide" and I think to myself that I have no idea what a "vicinal dihalide" is. Have I ever even seen the word "vicinal" before? No matter, I just figured it out because of my magnificent intellect. A vicinal dihalide must be one in which the two halogens are bonded to adjacent carbons. A dihalide in which the halogens were bonded to carbons farther from each other would be some other sort of dihalide, presumably. I guess. As you can see, I'm not an expert. I'm just pretending to be one. Because pretending is fun.

This reaction is pretty simply though. Alkene + halogen yields vicinal dihalide. Wow, that is simple. Fine, here's a picture...
That's pretty good, if I do say so myself. Anyway, this reaction is normally only done with chlorine or bromine. Addition of iodine is often too slow to be practical and addition of fluorine is apparently explosive. Fun. Oh, and then there's this part about how dichlorides and dibromides formed this way are themselves used as reactants for the synthesis of alkynes. It looks like I have my next post all figured out...

No comments:

Post a Comment