Saturday, April 16, 2011

Week 12 of 52: Preparation of epoxides from halohydrins

I know I'm behind. Shut up. I'm also very busy. But I have a reaction for you. Learn it. Or else. Now, as you may have ascertained from the title already, this reaction is all about the preparation of epoxides. I introduced epoxides in the previous post, and of course you still remember them and love them. That's good. One way to make them is to use a halohydrin. "What's that?" you ask. Shut up and I'll tell you.

Halohydrins are themselves prepared from alkenes. But shut up. They look like this...
The first step of this reaction is a simple acid-base reaction in which a proton is stripped from that alcohol group. You've seen this before. It is not new. It is familiar. You are comfortable with it. What happens next is pretty cool: an intramolecular substitution reaction. The negatively charged oxygen forms a bond to the nearby carbon. The halogen is, of course, a leaving group. The end result is an epoxide: the oxygen is attached to both carbons, forming a strained ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment