Monday, April 25, 2011

Week 13 of 52: Epoxidation of ethene

I am still behind, but I have resolved to catch up. This project will not die until I want it to. And I don't want it to. Not yet, anyway. I am so dedicated that I am starting a new post while sitting in my classroom. Class starts in fifteen minutes or so as I am typing this sentence, so I won't finish it yet. Shut up. Obviously I don't have an organic chemistry textbook in front of me, which has been my traditional method of searching for and selecting reactions to post here. And because of that, this time, we get a reaction not from the textbook at all. Pretty cool, huh?

This week's reaction, or the reaction for whichever week I'm on now, is another epoxide synthesis. Rather than working on an entire functional group (like the halohydrins from last week or last post or whatever), this one is specific to a single molecule: ethene. Being limited thusly is detrimental to a reaction's usefulness, assuming we want to construct a toolbox of reactions. However, this is still an important reaction because oxirane, the epoxide produced from it, is used extensively in industry. The reaction goes something like this...

7H2C=CH2 + 6O2 → 6C2H4O + 2CO2 + 2H2O

In case it wasn't clear, the product (other than water and carbon dioxide) is oxirane, the smallest and simplest of the epoxides.

This reaction is mediated by a silver catalyst. Have I explained catalysts before? No? Too bad. Anyway, even though this doesn't work for larger alkenes, it's still important because oxirane is an important precursor in the manufacture of a lot of other things, most prominent among them being ethane-1,2-diol (ethylene glycol).

No comments:

Post a Comment