Friday, September 2, 2011

Week 19 of 52: Halohydrin formation

I noted that epoxides could be formed from halohydrins, but still have not described how to form halohydrins in the first place. I aim to correct this oversight now. That's why this post is about halohydrin formation. If you'd been paying attention, which you haven't, you'd have seen this in the title.

The short version of this story is that exposing an alkene to a halogen and water yields a halohydrin. So the double bond in an alkene (C=C) becomes a single bond and one of the carbons gains a bond to a halogen and the other carbon gains a bond to a hydroxyl group. I just described the same thing twice and you still want a picture? Fine. I live to serve...
Making that picture just took valuable time that could have been spent playing Oblivion. I hope you're happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment